• Shannon

Lylah's Birth Story: February 18, 2012

The birth of our daughter, Lylah, is so special to me. Not because it was super eventful, but because it was the birth of our first baby. Here is her birth story:

Our last doctor appointment was on February 15. Lylah's due date wasn't until February 27, but she was getting so big and growing so quickly that we decided to induce that next Monday (February 20).

Lylah had other plans! At 2:00 a.m. on February 18, my water broke. It was very strange because I was actually going to the bathroom when it happened so at first I was very surprised at the amount of pee I had...then I woke up enough to realize it wasn't pee! I waddled over to Matt, who was still sleeping, and woke him up. "Honey" I said. "yeah" he said groggily. "My water broke." Immediately Matt was awake and he excitedly said "ok!" He was very happy. So, I called the after hours doctor number and told them we were on our way.

We arrived to Texas Women's Hospital in Houston, TX at around 3:10 a.m. and were in our LDR by 3:20. I cannot tell you enough how much I LOVED delivering at Texas Woman's. Their facilities are top notch and their nurses, staff, and doctors are amazing!

I had a few nurses while I was there (hello, 17 hour labor!) and most of them were great. I did have one nurse who really bothered me because she kept talking to me while I was trying to rest - it was still very early morning and my contractions weren't too awful at this point. But she just kept on talking to me and asking me questions. Looking back, I wish I would have asked her nicely to please stop talking so I could sleep, but I was so nervous about my first labor and baby that I just kept silent. Eventually, there was a shift change and my favorite nurse of all time came in. I call her Angela my Angel. She was beyond amazing with me. She treated me with kindness, but was realistic about everything. When I told her that the previous nurse told me that an epidural felt like a bee sting she kept it real and said " girl, it is NOT a bee sting. It will hurt more than that. I've had 3 and it was never just a 'bee sting.' I so appreciated her honesty.

I got my epidural at 7:15 a.m. and it was amazing how fast they were once I had told them I wanted one. Seriously, I told them I wanted it at 7 and it was done by 7:15. This hospital is fantastic! (Seriously, I wrote them all thank you notes later!) My contractions were about 2 minutes apart at this point and, while I could have handled the pain a little while longer, I felt like "why bother?" Medicine was made to help so I took full advantage. At this point, I was about 4-5 centimeters dilated and only able to eat ice chips and Popsicles (cherry was the best!).

By noon I was 7cm and by 4:00 p.m. I was 8 cm. After that, I didn't progress at all I was stuck at 8cm and 0 station. My doctor checked me at 8:30 p.m. and since I wasn't progressing at all (even with Pitocin) we were on to Plan B: C-section. She explained that she didn't want to continue to wait because of the risk of infection since my water had broken. I didn't mind too much because I didn't go into this with a birth plan. My plan was more go with the flow. So, I was off to have my first surgery ever and meet my baby girl!

Matt in scrubs.

Ready for surgery!

The surgery was scary since I hadn't been through one before, but I tried my best to stay calm and everyone was so nice. They really made me as comfortable as possible. I was shaking a lot, but not because I was cold and the nurse told me it is the body's was of preparing for birth. The nausea medicine they gave me didn't work (oops), but I was able to focus enough to hear my baby's first cry.

Lylah Avery Green was born on February 18, 2012 at 9:37 p.m. by Dr. Patrice Firpo. She weighed 8 pound 12 ounces and measured 21 inches.

Welcome to the world, baby girl!

Matt brought Lylah over to me and we got our first picture as a family of 3. Because I was so tired and still shaking, Matt gave Lylah her first feeding. The Demerol that they gave me really knocked me out so I wasn't very aware of what was going on. They moved me to my postpartum room where my parents were waiting to meet Lylah.

Our first picture as a family of 3! I look great, huh? ;-)

By the next morning, I was back to being myself and able to hold and feed my baby girl. I was also finally able to have water and real food! I don't remember everything I ordered but I know I had red grapes - and they were the most glorious grapes I have ever eaten! ;-)

Overall, I am happy with how Lylah's labor and delivery went. I don't mind at all that I had a C-section. I do not feel guilty for having an epidural. I was very relaxed about everything for the entire pregnancy, labor, and delivery and I think that helped keep things calm and happy.

A big shout-out to my husband, Matthew, who was the person I leaned on most during the journey. He was there for me without any problems or conditions. I have no idea how to express how much I appreciate and love him. I am thankful to have him in my life. I wouldn't have taken this journey with anyone else.

Nurse Angela came back the next day to meet Lylah! (There was a shift change about 2 hours before Lylah was born)

Daddy and Daughter

Mommy and Daughter

Beautiful Baby Girl Green

My parents made a sign for the tree in our front yard!

Balloons, flowers, and our doggies awaiting the arrival of Lylah Avery.


All of the material on this blog is copyrighted by the author. Ideas, photographs and concepts cannot be reproduced without the written consent of the blog author.

If you are interested in collaborating, please use the contact form under the 'About' tab.

© 2019 by Shannon at It's My Happinest

  • Black Facebook Icon
  • Black Instagram Icon
  • Black YouTube Icon
  • Black Twitter Icon
  • Black Pinterest Icon